Monday, May 21, 2012

Backpacking and Missions


The first week in the mission field was everything I had expected it to be, but at the same time nothing like I had every imagined.  I know, that does not make any sense, but that is exactly how I feel about it.  When certain things would happen to me, I would remember hearing mission stories from other people who had experienced the same thing, but at the same time I would think, "no one ever told me about this!" or "no one every told me that I would feel like this!!"  Hahaha ;)  oh missions, they are hard to describe I guess, but I will give it a try right now.  A mission is just like backpacking!  (This is why everyone should go backpacking -- backpacking can relate to everything you do in your life!)  Everyday, I am sweaty, smelly, dirty, tired, and hungry.  My environment is not exactly what I am used to and takes a baby bit of time to adapt.  Everything feels like it is uphill and my favorite parts of the day are sleeping and eating!  Every night, I go to bed exhausted, but content; and every morning I wake up, look at my 'pack', and wonder how  in the world I can shoulder it once more and do it all over again!  Yet, with a smile on my face, a prayer in my heart, and the eternal perspective of my purpose firmly fixed in my head, I head out the door and hit the cobblestone streets determined to fulfill my purpose as a missionary, to bring souls unto Christ!  If I every get the opportunity to teach a mission prep class in the future, you can be sure that it will include a two-week backpacking trip!  

My first morning in the field, I woke up to the sound of a rooster crowing.  At first, I thought it was someone's alarm clock because in my half asleep mind I remembered the guy in the movie 'Rio' who had a rooster crowing as his ring tone on his phone.  I kept wondering why nobody was waking up to turn off the annoying crowing rooster! heehee

Since my companion already served in this area for five weeks, she had a few progressing investigators.  I have been able to help teach each of them one lesson.  Even though I can't speak much, and can understand even less, I can feel the spirit that they have and their sincere desires to learn more.  As I look into their eyes, I can see future YM leaders, future Bishops, future Relief Society presidents, and future mothers and fathers who will raise righteous families unto the Lord!  It's amazing the love I feel for these people, and the earnest desires I have to truly understand their concerns and questions so that I can more fully help them grow in the Gospel and develop a firm testimony of the truths that we are teaching them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment